Description of the Position:
The junior web application developer position is an entry to mid-level position that allows you to gain valuable experience with the potential of working on exciting project such as facebook applications, secure web portals and e-commerce websites. The position involves development and support of dynamic PHP / MySQL based web sites, XML processing, as well as static HTML sites. Duties range from custom development of scripts with few development precedents, to creation of templates utilizing one of several PHP frameworks or content management solutions that we work with. Additional duties include supporting related hardware and software installed to host and support these web sites, as well as light IT support for clients or colleagues.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate comfort and skill in PHP, HTML and CSS coding through past work. Candidates are not required to have a high level of expertise in PHP or MySQL, but should have demonstrated object oriented programming in their portfolio or class project. Ideal candidates have co-op or internship experience, a portfolio, and professional development experience preferred but not required.
Besides web development duties noted above, you will learn to work with design and technical architecture documents that utilize a combination of wireframes and UML diagrams. You will also, with time, participate in project teams in brainstorming solutions to broader challenges that clients face. We are looking someone who can think methodically, identify potential issues, and isn’t afraid to solve problems on their own.
The position is initially a part time (35 hours per week) position that may lead to a full time position with good performance. As a growing company, Polar Design also has opportunities for advancement internally for hires that master the disparate areas of web systems design and development. Compensation will be based on past experience in web application development, as well as actual performance.
1. Possessing or working toward a Bachelor Degree from an accredited 4 year university program
2. Demonstrated web development skills (e.g., through a portfolio of work, storyboards, technical diagrams, etc.)
4. Understanding of web site hosting and server technology
5. Comfortable with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
6. Familiarity with process flow charting, wire frames, site maps
7. Love of learning, and ability to work with minimal supervision or training
8. Permission to work in the US
Ideal candidates may also possess:
1. Possessing or working toward a Computer science or similar degree
2. Familiarity with Visio or other modeling and flow charting software, or familiarity with UML
3. Strong writing skills
4. Experience with Flash-XML interaction, XSL coding
5. Professional experience with object oriented programming and relational database design principles
6. Web server / networking / IT experience
Please respond by submitting to email@example.com a cover letter, resume/CV, and samples that may include links to past work, samples in PDF format of print or design document writing work, and anything else that you feel sets you apart.
No phone calls, please.